Last Friday was supposed to be so great. I took the day off to travel with my family and my in-laws to Myrtle Beach. Early that morning, however, I got a text from Bobbie (work wife) that I needed to check the newspaper for an article about the company for which we work. She also stated that the only other person left in the office besides us was going to be let go. Not just "let go", but FIRED. It was done in frustration and anger, so I think FIRED is the word to use. It all happened so fast: the news story breaking, the firing, the paperwork, and the threats of jail time. My head was spinning and I was trying to get ready for a relaxing weekend! So much for that!

As the weekend went on I became more anxious about heading back to work Monday morning. The tasks left undone were assuredly to become my responsibility, while my job was to be passed on to someone else - Bobbie. We've lost almost everyone in this office in the last year. We went from a group of seven to just the two of us. It's been stressful to say the least. I feel like I want to cry sometimes, but I can't. I don't have the tears for it. I still have a job and that's what matters. More good news is that I was not to be the sole bearer of the tasks formerly done by our lost co-worker. We are splitting her duties between Bobbie, the office manager and myself. It's Thursday and I've been working at my new tasks all week. I've barely spent more than three hours all week on my accounting work.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all that's happened. I wish I could go into more detail and stop being so vague, but that wouldn't be appropriate. I generally become fully aware of the lying, cheating, misuse of funds, etc. that goes on in a company within the first two years of my employment and the thought of working for a company like this forces me to find employment elsewhere. So after four jobs like this, I am feeling hopeless. I've been employed here for over three years and I only stay because of my family responsibilities. It's not likely that I could start over at another company making the same money I make here. It would be so nice to say that the money doesn't matter, but it does. I was not to the manor born, nor was Chris. If I could make money working for a charity, I'd quit today. As far as my career goes, all I want is to know that the work I do makes a difference and helps people. I'm not making a difference now and the only person I'm helping is the owner as I line his pockets with money. I can't do this much longer.