As a mom, I find myself to be more understanding of other moms and more patient with kids who aren't my own. When I hear tragic stories about kids on the news, I ache for them. Sadly, much of what we hear on the news is abuse and neglect. But there are other dramas unfolding all around us. Dramas like the one that came to my attention today. In some ways it came too late, but in other ways, it came just in time.

In checking up on my Facebook friends this morning, I noticed a website link attached to the status of my friend Michelle (thank you again, Michelle). The picture showed a small child in a hospital gown hugging (I assumed) her father. Above the link, Michelle stated the girl was no longer with us and offered a prayer for her and her family. I clicked the link because I just had to know more. What could've happened to take this beautiful baby from her earthly family? The initial page was dated from Monday, and I didn't want to read it. I wasn't ready to read it. I clicked on My Story. It told about a little girl, three and a half years old named Sarabeth. She'd been battling a liver disease since she was three months old.

Knowing how the story ended, I next clicked on the Journal tab. Still unprepared to read about her last days, I clicked the sixth page back and read forward from there. The tears flowed as they flow now. When I got to the second to last entry, I cried and cried. I cried for Sarabeth and for her family. I cried for all the other strong, brave, scared, undeserving children that suffer illnesses and diseases that threaten their lives. I cried for the legions of families that struggle with the death of a child. I cried for Michelle, who lost her sweet Brayden just last year. I cried for my little girls and wished for a million more days with them. I cried as if enough tears could wash away all the pain.

And finally I read the last entry. It stated there would be a memorial for Sarabeth on Wednesday in Mt. Pleasant. Today is Wednesday and I work in Mt. Pleasant. All the time as I read the entries, I did not realize this family was local. Their child was at MUSC Children's Hospital. The memorial will be at 2 this afternoon and I am going. I gathered up all the cash in my wallet and I printed a poem just for them. I'm not staying for the service, but I will pay my respects for a child loved and lost. She will always be loved and thought of with a mixture of sadness and joy. Sarabeth is safe at home in the loving arms of Jesus. Pray for her family. Pray for Sarabeth.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarabethjones