Ah, Halloween. It's never been a favorite time of year for me. The candy is great, don't get me wrong, but playing dress-up was something we did year-round as kids, so it was no big deal. I became more involved in Halloween when I had my own baby to clothe in fantastical garments, and I really started to love it last year.

My friend (also my co-worker) was telling me she needed to get "Boo bags" ready because she'd been "Boo-ed". It sounded crazy until she explained and it changed my view of Halloween.

If you're a mom, you probably know all about Boo-ing, but maybe not. Here's the Readers Digest version: create "Boo bags" (containing candy, treats, pencils, etc.), find a poem online or create your own, make signs, and pass out to neighbors. To get the ball rolling last year I made five. I was so excited when I got Boo-ed back! Here's the poem I use with instructions for your neighbors to continue the fun:

The air is cool, the season fall
Soon Halloween will come to all
This is the time for goblins and bats
Spooks and spirits and ghosts and cats

The ghosts are after things to do,
In fact, a ghost brought this to you!
“BOO” is a shield from witching hour
Just hang it up and watch its power

To yield the power, pick three friends sweet
And give them each a Halloween treat
Neighbors will have smiling faces
None will know who “BOO-ed” whose places!

Just one short day to work your spell,
But keep it secret! Hide it well!
Join in the fun, the season’s here.
So spread these “BOOs” and share the cheer!!

Here are the next steps:
-Enjoy your treat!
-Place the BOO sign on your door, on a visible front window, or tape it to a stick and place in the yard. This will prevent the ghost from returning to your home.
-Make three copies of this note and the BOO signs. You can even make your own BOO signs to pass along!
-Make treat bags or BOO baskets
-Secretly deliver to three neighbors without a BOO
-Watch the BOOs spread until Halloween!

And here's the sign I'm using this year (from organizedchristmas.com):
http://organizedchristmas.com/printable/halloween-boo/halloween-boo-sign-colorful

Basically you make little gift bags and give them to your neighbors with a fun poem explaining the tradition and a sign for their door so other neighbors will know they've already been treated. I like to give candy and cookie cutters in little Halloween bowls. This year I'm giving small candles too (for the parents). What I like best is not knowing who Boo-ed you. It's a special secret for each family to know to whom they gave treats. I'll be giving out my treats tonight! I'm so excited! If your neighborhood doesn't "Boo", then what better reason to start? Happy Halloween!!