I had a birthday this week. This is the first time Chris has been home for my birthday and he took me to lunch. We tried a new place on Daniel Island (Ali Baba) and then I accompanied him on a site check for the Race for the Cure at the Family Circle Cup stadium. Back at work I found out two people were let go. I wasn't one of them, so it could be worse, but it's not good. It means that the economic state of the area is continuing to decline. It's hitting too close to home for my taste, but what can I do?

I mentioned to a co-worker that I wasn't sure whether I should be super-motivated or totally unmotivated. I have responsibilities to my husband and my children and that means I need to be doing everything possible to keep from losing my job. However, Betty (one of the seemingly unnecessary employees) was great at her job and went out of her way to make herself useful. What hope is there for me? My supervisor told me yesterday that as of now, we are all on an equal playing field. No one does job that is more important than anyone else. Hard to believe. One of us will have to be moved from our office and into the front office. None of us wants to move. Having seen personnel move into the front office and be fired makes me feel like it's the gateway to dismissal. I've enjoyed having my own office for almost a year now. I can use my breast pump at my leisure. People wander in and out of the front office all day and it's very distracting. I was in the front office at one point, but was upgraded to a shared office and ultimately an office of my own. I don't want to be downgraded.

I was notified that I will be absorbing Betty's duties as purchasing officer. I only have a slight understanding of all that entails. I have never been a purchasing officer, nor do I see it as a direction in which I am prepared to move. However, I am being dropped in head first. We will find out tomorrow who pulled the short straw to move into the front office. I am none too excited. I am here to do a job for a company to which I am indifferent. I guess it's about time I start caring since my responsibilities are multiplying!